Step 1- read/review the following:
- “Alfred Wegener” Article under Instructor Insights. The article is also available at: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/wegener.html
- Steps of the Scientific Method (Week 1)
Step 2- Respond to the following:
- Explain briefly Wegener’s Theory of Continental Drift
- Discuss the steps of the Scientific Method that Wegener followed in developing his theory
- Was he able to follow ALL the steps of the Scientific Method? Why? Why not? Which ones (if any) did he forgo?
- What was the response of the scientific community to Wegener’s theory originally? Why do you think scientists responded as they did?
- How long did it take for this theory to become accepted?
- What was required for full acceptance of Continental Drift?
Step 3- Independent research
Go to the “USGS Hazards” website under the Natural Hazards terms section of the Science Corner. You can also access the website at http://www.usgs.gov/natural_hazards/. Choose one of the following hazards:
Discuss the following:
- What are the key factors that influence the risk of this particular hazard?
- Analyze how human activity elevates the risk of this hazard occurring
- What strategies can humans take to minimize damage and loss of life due to this hazard?