How does a pop culture portrayal of science and scientists impact the average person’s view of what science is and how research is conducted? Can what is presented by the media affect how the general populace views a particular research field? What might the long-term impacts of such a depiction be? These are just a few questions that you will reflect upon in this Assignment.
Please address Each following questions in Essay Format, with an introduction and conclusion:
1. When you hear the word “scientist” what do you envision? Which famous people or characters from the media come into your mind? What characteristics do they have in common? Discuss at least three characteristics of your vision of a scientist.
2. Has your image of what a scientist does and how they look changed over time? If so, how has this changed and what influenced you?
3. Are fictional scientists usually the heroes, villains, or a combination of the two? Provide at least two detailed examples to support your position.
4. How is science portrayed in fictional media (television shows, movies, music, books, etc.)? Is it seen as a positive, negative, or neutral force in the world? Give specific examples supporting your position.
5. Do you think the portrayal of scientists in the various forms of media influences how society views people in this profession? Why, or why not?
6. Can the portrayal of science in media influence how certain research and technology is viewed, and accepted, by the general public (e.g., cloning)?
Basic Writing Expectations:
· A minimum of 1,500 words, not counting the title or reference pages
· At least 3 academic resources utilized
· Include a title page, double space, font size 10 or 12
· Include a highly developed viewpoint/thesis, purpose, and exceptional content
· Demonstrate superior organization: use logic
· Free of grammar and spelling errors
· No evidence of plagiarism. Note: no more than 10% of your paper should be direct quotes
· Use the APA style for all in-text citations, references, and body of paper
This easay will automatically be analyzed by the plagiarism detection tool, Turnitin.