sociology question 135 – writinghub.net
Participation Assignment #3, Culture & Socialization
Google: ( Secret of a wild child) After viewing this Nova documentary answer the following questions:
Assignment Sheet for the film SecretsofaWildChild.
Write a nice solid paragraph for each of the following questions:
- What were the conditions that Genie was raised in by her biological parents?
Abuse, neglect and social isolation.
- Did Genie achieve normal language skills?
She learned some language after puberty, her inability to use grammar.
- What are a couple of theories on Language Development in humans that was presented in the film? What are the two theories of language acquisition proposed by Noam Chomsky & Eric Lenneberg?
- What ethical issues relative to the treatment of Genie did the film raise?
- What conclusions did the professionals come to relative to Genies progress?
- Where is Genie today?
Read the excerpt from C Wright Mills book The Sociological Imagination. To access this excerpt, Google the following: (The Sociological Imagination C. Wright Mills the promise pdf) and answer the following questions:
a) What does C. Wright Mills mean by Sociological Imagination?
b)How does he make a distinction between personal problems and social issues?
c)Give a couple of examples in contemporary society of personal problems and social issues.