Strategic Financial Planning, health and medicine homework help
8 pages…..APA Format……In-text citations….will check for plagarism….
Established in 1987, ABC Community Hospital not-for-profit is an acute care hospital located in an east coast Metropolitan area. With a staff of nearly 200 physicians and specialists, 800 employees and 100 volunteers, they offer a full range of healthcare services. They are accredited by the Joint Commission. The hospital has been profitable for the last 5 years with a profit margin of 3-4%.
In March 2012, XYZ Healthcare System, a private, for-profit health care chain, took over management of the 400-bed ABC Community Hospital. In May 2013, officials began to discuss a proposal to build a new wing devoted to a Cancer Center and ancillary services devoted to the treatment of Cancer. The new wing would have 30 acute care beds, four surgical operating rooms, intensive care unit and extensive support services, including physical therapy and Hospice care. All patient rooms would be private. There are no Cancer Centers within a 200 mile radius of the hospital service area.
The Board of directors is concerned with taking on the additional debt of the Cancer Center. They have tasked the CFO with developing a financial plan and strategic plan that will outline the impact of the Cancer Center. They want you to address the following areas:
- What are the key financial policy targets for which the board is responsible for? List and explain each.
- How does the financial planning and strategic planning of the new for-profit status align with the financial and strategic plans of the existing community hospital status?
- Explain how management control is used in conjunction with the financial plan. With the takeover, would the ABC Community Hospital CFO need to consult with XYZ Healthcare System executives for the decision making?
- A financial plan may be thought of as a bridge between two balance sheets. What are the major categories of assumptions that must be specified to project a future balance sheet, given the current balance sheets from the ABC Community Hospital and now XYZ Healthcare System?
- Compare and contrast the kinds of decisions that are made in the Cancer Center capital investment decision analysis for the for-profit and non-profit healthcare facilities using the four stages of capital decision making process.
- What information is needed by the CFO to evaluate the Cancer Center capital investment project?
- Who, internally from the healthcare system and externally, should be involved in the capital investment decision process to determine the feasibility of the Cancer Center?