Formative Paper: Data Analysis Paper
The KIDS COUNT online data center is a project of the Annie E. Casey Foundation to track the well-being of children in the United States. Data can be accessed by location or by topics such as demographics, economic well-being, education, family and community, health and safety, and risky behaviors.
For this assignment you must:
- Go to the KIDS COUNT data center (http://datacenter.kidscount.org/)
- Choose a data topic
- Economic Well-being
- Family & Community
- Safety & Risky Behaviors
- Choose your location (Choose a minimum of 2 by state, territory or city)
- By State
- By territory
- By city
- Choose your national indicators
- Choose a minimum of four years of data
- Graph the data three ways (Include the two locations (state, territory or city in one graph)
Writing the Formative Paper
- Be a minimum of three to four pages (Excluding the title and reference pages and charts and graphs) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Include a minimum of three scholarly references published within the past three years, excluding your textbook.
- Include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Include a description of the data found, and the data source. (Summarize the data found, and how it was collected and eventually made available to the data center.)
- Include your three graphs and analyze which graph is most appropriate for the data and state why.
- Describe any trends found in the data.
- Include a minimum of three reasons why the data is similar or different from the two locations or over time.
- Summarize three articles from a scholarly source (excluding your textbook) that discuss the data you selected.
- Include a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Include all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Full page graphs are not counted as part of the three to four page minimum.