writing help essay – writinghub.net
Respond to one of the following prompts in a 3-5 page fiction response essay. Your essay should be in MLA format, make use of support from the story or stories chosen (using quotation, summary and/or paraphrase) and should include citations in-text and on a Works Cited page. Remember to avoid summarizing a story – instead, focus on answering the question(s) and explaining why the quotes and passages you’ve chosen are significant.
1.Consider the stories we have read that feature young narrators or protagonists. Compare how two young adults respond to the challenges and opportunities presented to them in the story. In what ways are their lessons intended for the audience as well?
2. Choose a story with a first person narrator. How does the narrator’s bias, personality, and reliability affect the story? Are readers given false or biased impressions of other characters? How does this impact the meaning of the overall story?
3.Compare and contrast the themes regarding familial relationships in two stories. What statement does each story make about family bonds? How does each story use literary devices to illustrate its theme?
4. Choose a story that makes use of significant symbolism. How do symbols support and establish the theme in the story? What symbols are significant and how does each create or reinforce the story’s central theme
These are the stories we have read
- “The Man Who Was Almost a Man”
- “Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?”
- “The Lottery”
- “The Storm”
- “Everyday Use”
- “The Things They Carried”
- “This is What it Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona”
- “A Worn Path”